Theme: Conflict when liberties are threatened
1215 Magna Carta extract: Clause 61: “SINCE WE HAVE GRANTED ALL THESE THINGS for God, for the better ordering of our kingdom, and to allay the discord that has arisen between us and our barons, and since we desire that they shall be enjoyed in their entirety, with lasting strength, for ever, we give and grant to the barons the following security:”
Historic speech extract: Winston Churchill, 1940
The music played at the Abbey Gate was Rule Britannia, “… This was the charter of the land … Britons never, never, never shall be slaves”
Please click a link below.
1. Charter Square - Theme: Past, present and future liberty as shown by the pageants
2. Moyse’s Hall - Theme: The law and imprisonment – at one time, Moyse’s Hall was a gaol.
3. The Market Cross - Theme: The liberties - this building was a Georgian Theatre
4. The Guildhall - Theme: The law courts - this building was a law court
5. The Unitarian Meeting House - Theme: Religious freedom
6. The Great Churchyard - Theme: The Great Abbey and religion
7. The Crossing within the Abbey Ruins - Theme: The Barons meeting at the Abbey
8. The Abbey Gate - Theme: Conflict when liberties are threatened
The Bury Society
Copyright 2015 © The Bury Society All rights reserved.Website design by The Internet Consultancy