1. Charter Square
Theme: Past, present and future liberty as shown by the pageants
1215 Magna Carta extract: Clause 13: “The city of London shall enjoy all its ancient liberties and free customs, both by land and by water. We also will and grant that all other cities, boroughs, towns, and ports shall enjoy all their liberties and free customs.”
Unlike other locations, the display at Charter Square showed excerpts from the Magna Carta pageants of 1907 and 1959, and the 2014 pageant play.
Please click a link below.
1. Charter Square - Theme: Past, present and future liberty as shown by the pageants
2. Moyse’s Hall - Theme: The law and imprisonment – at one time, Moyse’s Hall was a gaol.
3. The Market Cross - Theme: The liberties - this building was a Georgian Theatre
4. The Guildhall - Theme: The law courts - this building was a law court
5. The Unitarian Meeting House - Theme: Religious freedom
6. The Great Churchyard - Theme: The Great Abbey and religion
7. The Crossing within the Abbey Ruins - Theme: The Barons meeting at the Abbey
8. The Abbey Gate - Theme: Conflict when liberties are threatened
The Bury Society
Copyright 2015 © The Bury Society All rights reserved.Website design by The Internet Consultancy